This is the page for real-time updates from the 2012 One Lap of America event from Ex-Pat Racing. We will post updates, videos, photos and status for the One Lap of America as we go. We'll also add some pre-event news as it happens too.


Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 8 and 9: Hasting Nebraska and Brianerd Minnesota, 620 and 450 miles

Sorry that we didn't post yesterday, but what with two races an autocross and 9 hours of driving we were a little busy.

It was a pretty good day. We got to Hastings and I decided to jog around the track. That was a great idea, I made notes on the way and actually did two laps jogging. When it came to the race I was 12th both times. This track really suited my car.

We then had an Autocross. I got some instruction from a champion and he was 28th while I was 38th. Disaster. I certainly need practice at the parking lot cone thing, that is called autocross.

Even though it may sound tame, there is still the scope for a horrible accident. A Mustang hit the armco and ripped the drivers door clean off. Very nasty but no injuries.


Today was Brainerd International Raceway in deepest Minnesota, Eh? It has a one mile straight and the fastest corner in motor racing. I hit the high 160s on the straight and was doing 130ish in T1. problem was that when I got to T4, my perception of speed was off and I entered way too fast and ended up on the grass. Again. Fully all 4 wheels this time. 20th.

Second run was the shorter course and i did much better. Had an issue getting second gear in T3 and that slowed me down a lot but still managed 14th.

Then we had drag racing. I removed the wing and rolled into the start. A 6'9" guy from Lincoln UK helped me with some great tips and even though I had a bad reaction time and hit the limiter in 2nd, I still managed 10th with a 12.3s at 115 mph. It's a faaast car. I was against an SRT8 thing and he got off the line faster but we blew by him shortly thereafter.

All of that left us in 18th overall! It's looking better! Road America on Friday. I am an expert at that track on the X-Box.

No comments:

Post a Comment